APNU/AFC has continued to fail in Government

first_imgDear Editor,The APNU+ AFC coalition government campaign platform was racial unity and the promise that the coalition would ensure that no Guyanese is discriminated against. As such, over 20, 000 persons in Region Six voted for the coalition government.That was just another method to just make people feel that the coalition government would treat Guyanese equally; this is another promise that is not being fulfilled. Despite over 10,000 Indo-Guyanese residents of Region Six voted for the coalition government.Just imagine, the monument site at Palmyra is still incomplete after several years. A few ministers came weeks before 5th May as a smoke screen to lie to Indo-Guyanese about the coalition government’s failure to erect this monument. Social Cohesion Minister George Norton said this project would have been completed for May 5th 2018. But I realize that PM Nagamootoo, who also promised to complete it since last year, is an ‘authentic rubber stamp’ who is powerless and does nothing to represent Region Six. Reason why is because Amna Ally at Fyrish, Corentyne said that Region Six did not vote for us, but the coalition government is still spending in the region. This is an insult to the residents of Region Six, and Minister Amna Ally should remember that taxpayers money is being spent, not her personal monies.We should congratulate the Indian High Commissioner and Government of India to ensure that the respect of the East Indians is not being tarnished by the APNU/AFC coalition government.Sincerely,Zamal Hussainlast_img read more

Read More →

Prieto stars on mound, at plate as LBCC romps

first_imgWoody also homered against Sierra in going 2 for 3, but the Chargers were held to four hits. Cypress starter Alyssa Gutierrez tossed a five-hitter and held Sierra to one earned run. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Daniel Prieto went 4 for 5 with a triple, double and two RBI and earned the pitching victory as the Long Beach City baseball team beat Southwestern, 10-4, in a nonconference game Sunday at LBCC. Sean Beckley went 3 for 4 and drove in three runs for the Vikings (5-9), while Paul Hayes went 3 for 4 and Armando Arzate went 2 for 3. Long Beach City scored two runs in the first inning and six more in the second for an 8-0 lead. The Vikings ended up with 13 hits. Prieto (1-0) pitched six innings and though Southwestern (6-7) scored a run in the fifth and two more in the sixth, he did not allow an earned run. Prieto allowed four hits, struck out two and walked two. Adam McNaught gave up one run in the seventh and Steve Carney finished up with two shutout innings for LBCC. Southwestern starter Daniel Stenavich took the loss, allowing four runs – three earned – in one-plus inning. center_img The Vikings will host Irvine Valley on Tuesday at 2 p.m. Softball Sierra 3, Cypress 1; Cypress 16, W. Hills 0, 5 inn. Freshman Sydney Woolley (3-0) tossed a six-hitter for her first JC shutout and Jessica Lupinetti and Gabby Woody homered to lead the Chargers (6-1) over West Hills in their second of two nonconference games Sunday at College of the Sequoias. The game was called after five innings due to the mercy rule. Lupinetti drove in two runs, Woody had three RBI, Kristen Aufdemberg drove in two and Ashley Boyd went 3 for 3. last_img read more

Read More →

Boys’ soccer: Controversial goal lifts San Fernando to win

first_imgThe San Fernando High boys’ soccer team advanced to the City Section finals amid controversy Wednesday afternoon, as a questionable penalty call in the 28th minute set up the winning goal in the Tigers’ 1-0 semifinal victory over visiting Chatsworth. Moises Alvarez was awarded the winning penalty kick after he and Chatsworth defender Claudio Rodriquez battled for a cross in the San Fernando box. Both made an attempt at the ball, and Alvarez drew a flag when he fell to the ground. The midfielder found the bottom right corner of the net on the penalty kick, helping the No. 2-seeded Tigers (22-2-3) advance to face top-seeded Canoga Park in the final at 4:30p.m. Saturday at East L.A. College. No. 3 Chatsworth (15-7-2) was looking to advance to the City final for the first time since 1991. “That penalty was a tough call to swallow,” Chatsworth coach Vahan Minassian said. “We feel like we played well enough to win this game, but we’re not going to leave here making excuses. You have to put the ball in the back of the net to win, and we weren’t able to do that.” Chatsworth’s best scoring chance game in the sixth minute, when Bob Colocho hit the crossbar on a free kick from 35 yards out. The Chancellors threatened again when Travis Bowen got off a clean header from within five yards, but the ball landed in the hands of Tigers goalkeeper Orlando Cardenas. San Fernando forwards Edgar Barajas and Jorge Flores controlled possession for much of the game with their superior speed. In the 15th minute, Flores headed a cross to Barajas, who headed the ball off the crossbar before it was cleared by the Chatsworth defense. The Tigers’ offense was particularly aggressive in the second half, firing repeatedly on Chatsworth goalkeeper Giovanni Castaneda. The junior made two sprawling saves to keep the Chancellors in the game, but Chatsworth failed to create enough scoring opportunities. San Fernando extended its unbeaten streak to 20 games, yet it will be a significant underdog against Canoga Park (23-0-1) in this weekend’s final. center_img “We understand that Canoga Park is the team to beat in the City, but we’re not going to change the way we play against them,” San Fernando coach Norman Mejia said. “We’re the most improved team in the City this season.” kevin.connelly@dailynews.com (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →

‘Renewed’ Bloc Quebecois launches nationalist, Quebec-only election campaign

first_imgThe Canadian Press QUEBEC — The Bloc Quebecois is pitching itself to voters as a renewed party represented by a fresh generation of young candidates ready to fight exclusively for Quebec’s interests in Ottawa.Party leader Yves-Francois Blanchet was in Quebec City today to launch the Bloc’s campaign, which will only field candidates in the province’s 78 federal electoral ridings.Blanchet says Quebecers have flirted with the Conservatives, the New Democrats and most recently, the Liberals, but those parties have either hurt their interests or brought little to the province’s voters.- Advertisement -He says the mission of the Bloc is not to win government, but to send a strong contingent to Ottawa in order to pressure the party that does control Parliament to respect Quebec.Blanchet says his party embodies Quebecers’ values of secularism, gender equality and love for the environment, and the Bloc’s platform will reflect what he described as a new Quebec nationalism.He also listed a series of grievances he had against the federal government, including what he called its obsession with the fossil fuel industry.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Watford enter talks with Inter Milan over deal for Algerian interntional

first_imgWatford have entered talks with Inter Milan over a possible deal to bring Saphir Taider to the Premier League.The Algerian interntional spent last season on loan at Sassuolo, having been sent back to Inter by Southampton in August.According to Tutto Mercato, Inter are keen to sell the central midfielder and Watford owner Gino Pozzo has already been in contact with Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio.Inter want to to get Taider off their books but the Hornets would prefer a loan deal to see how the 23-year-old copes with the Premier League. Saphir Taider in action for Sassuolo 1last_img read more

Read More →

West Ham 1-0 Birkirkara: Late James Tomkins strike earns Hammers vital Europa League victory

first_img1 James Tomkins scored a 90th-minute winner to earn West Ham United a narrow Europa League second qualifying round first leg lead over Malta’s Birkirkara.The Hammers dominated possession but failed to make it count until defender Tomkins chested home from a corner.Modibo Maiga hit a post for the hosts, while skipper Kevin Nolan went close with an acrobatic volley.West Ham will have to perform better in Malta – next Thursday – if they are to make sure of a place in the third qualifying round.With manager Slaven Bilic in the Boleyn Ground dugout for the first time since his summer appointment, the Hammers were expected to make short work of the Maltese Cup winners.However, despite naming a strong starting XI – which included the likes of captain Kevin Nolan, goalkeeper Adrian, defenders Winston Reid and Tomkins, with Morgan Amalfitano, Mauro Zarate and Modibo Maiga in attack – the Hammers were left frustrated as the visitors dug in.But, just when it looked like the tie would end goalless, Tomkins bundled the ball into the net following a corner, to give the Premier League side the slenderest of leads to protect in next week’s away leg. James Tomkins last_img read more

Read More →

PICTURE SPECIAL: MONSTER WAVES BATTER DONEGAL COAST

first_imgPICTURE SPECIAL: These are a selection of images sent into us that show the extent of the adverse weather currently battering our coastline. The images above show the beautiful scenic areas of Marble Hill and Portnablagh getting absolutely battered by monster waves.The images were sent into us by Moses Alcorn. The Arranmore Car and Passenger Ferry and Arranmore Fast Ferries have both suspended their service for today due to the horrendous conditions.It is hoped that the weather will subside later this evening but Donegal is still being placed on a Orange Weather Alert.If you’ve got any pictures or videos send them into us at info@donegaldaily.comPICTURE SPECIAL: MONSTER WAVES BATTER DONEGAL COAST was last modified: December 10th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BatteredFeaturesMarble HillMonsternewspicture specialPortnablaghwaveslast_img read more

Read More →

McHUGH CALLS FOR ENGAGEMENT AND RENEWED PARTNERSHIP WITH POSTAL SERVICES

first_imgDeputy Joe McHugh, TD, has assured the Donegal public he is working closely both with local representatives in the postal service, and also relevant groups and members of the public who are concerned about the potential impact of changes to the postal service.Joe McHugh TD“Last week I met with a group of Postmasters from Fanad, Milford and Dunfanaghy , a group from Bunbeg in Dublin, and a group in the Inishowen Peninsula. I worked closely with the Greencastle Community in successfully retaining a twelve month extension to the postal service in the area. And as recently as last night, I attended a public meeting in Carrigart addressing concerns regarding the retention of Carrigart and Downings post offices.“The Government is committed to a strong and viable An Post and supports its maintenance of the maximum number of economically viable post offices, ensuring that Irish customers, both business and residential, enjoy competitively high quality postal services. Having invested in the computerisation of all post offices, the post office network is well positioned to become the front office provider of choice for Government and financial services sector. Any such developments are subject to public procurement requirements as appropriate. An Post has many strengths and has the largest retail presence in the country and need to further exploit its unique position in this regard. “There are real and genuine concerns regarding the future of Post Offices and the services they provide in both rural and urban areas. I have been engaging with An Post directly to identify the challenges they are facing and with the goal of achieving the best outcome for all those who rely on the services they provide.“The focus of development needs to be transparency. Instead of allowing the issue to continue gathering momentum and speculation or confusion taking a front seat, it is the responsibility of the Government, An Post and the Postmasters to realise a long term plan with a clear strategy around the future of the postal service in this country. In 2016, the Social Welfare contract, which is currently held with An Post, will be up for renewal and this will provide An Post the opportunity to review and agree it’s proposals with the Government on how it intends to roll out this contract in the future.“While I have been working closely with all elements of An Post, it is clear that overall mail volumes, not just in Ireland but across Europe, are in decline. The need for new initiatives are imperative to the ongoing commercial viability of An Post. The Postmaster Union and An Post are two entities which need to come together to find an agreement that will ultimately secure the long-term success of both organisations.“There are a number of possible opportunities available in achieving this goal which have been and continue to be reviewed. AIB have a partnership with An Post so customers of AIB who can’t make it to an AIB branch, can carry out many of their daily AIB banking transactions at their local post office, even on a Saturday morning. These include both personal and business banking transactions. Bank of Ireland, in 2012, extended their partnership with the UK Post Office, offering BOI customers a comprehensive range of financial services products, including savings accounts, mortgages, motor, home and life insurance and credit cards. If this arrangement is viable in the UK, then it suggests that a similar partnership may be an option in Ireland between banks and An Post. “We have to be realistic about the changing requirements and needs of consumers and customers and I welcome the ongoing debate around how we address these changes and adapt. There is a vote next week regarding a motion. This will not impact how our post offices and An Post is operated. The job over the next two years is to accurately assess the situation, with a focus on the social welfare contract due to be reviewed in 2016.“It is essential that our postal services retain their national network and continue providing an essential service that connects the whole country. Now is the moment to engage all relevant groups and to allow them to outline their viewpoints so we can arrive at a sustainable solution that will not only address the current challenges but also lay the foundations for a strengthened service which will be capable of adapting to our future needs.” McHUGH CALLS FOR ENGAGEMENT AND RENEWED PARTNERSHIP WITH POSTAL SERVICES was last modified: February 20th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An PostJoe McHughlast_img read more

Read More →

PULL THE OTTER ONE – CREATURE SPOTTED TRYING TO GET INTO DONEGAL PLAY-CENTRE

first_imgThe otter was spotted in the middle of Bundoran trying to get into a children’s Play-centre!They are notoriously shy creatures who are rarely spotted in the wild – nevermind off a town’s busy Main Street.But Ollie the Otter didn’t mind the fuss today as he made an appearance in Bundoran.Ollie was spotted trying to get into Dizzy’s Den children’s playcentre just after 10am. Anna Marie Murray, the owner of the centre which is located at Bundoran Retail Park, said she was shocked to see the creature outside her premises.“He was outside and it looked like he was trying to get in. It was one of the strangest things I have ever seen.“Unfortunately we have a strict no animals policy,” she laughed.Anna Marie said Ollie just wandered off after a while and she hopes he made his way into fields behind their centre and back to a nearby river.   PULL THE OTTER ONE – CREATURE SPOTTED TRYING TO GET INTO DONEGAL PLAY-CENTRE was last modified: April 22nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bundoranDizzy’s Den playcentredonegalotterlast_img read more

Read More →

O’Meara aiming for title glory

first_imgSteve O’Meara is aiming for the top of the domestic light-middleweight scene following his stunning first-round knockout of west London rival Ryan Toms.O’Meara, 27, defeated the previously unbeaten southpaw on Friday night at Bethnal Green’s York Hall to become southern-area champion – much to the delight of his many fans who had travelled across the capital to see the big fight.Commonwealth champion Jamie Cox and the 6ft 3in British champion Prince Arron have been mooted as potential opponents, as has Blackpool’s Brian Rose, who has the English title.And the Shepherd’s Bush-born O’Meara, who lives in West Drayton, is confident he has what it takes to make the step up in class.“I’m in the British top 10 in the division now and I believe I’m beyond southern-area level,” he told West London Sport.“I probably could do with going a 10 or 12 round distance. I’m not really picky or choosy so I don’t mind who I fight next – I just want to move on to bigger and better things.Toms (right) was unbeaten before Friday’s west London showdown“I’ve just fought a southpaw and I’ve done a lot of southpaw sparring so Jamie Cox could make sense. I think he is a lot better than he showed in his last fight.“Brian Rose, I haven’t seen lots of him but he looks like he’s a strong boxer, but ideally everyone wants Prince Aaron as he is the British champion – that’s the title everyone wants and he has it.“I actually spar very well against tall fighters. I’d really like to fight him. I do have a lot of respect for him.”Promoter Frank Warren, trainer Jim McDonnell and matchmaker Dean Powell are set to discuss the next move for the former footballer, who played for Hillingdon Borough and was once on Brentford’s books.It remains to be seen where Toms, 29, goes from here after being caught cold in Friday’s encounter. But O’Meara says a rematch could take place if the Northolt man is determined to bounce back.“At the end of the day it’s about selling tickets,” O’Meara declared.“There is a good possibility that there could be a rematch. He gave me the title shot. I will leave it to the people that decide but if it can sell like that again, then it makes sense.”www.twitter.com/robbrennan82last_img read more

Read More →